Affiliate marketing is an old school tactic that many online marketers use to generate additional revenue from online sales.
So it’s surprising that many creators and companies don’t use this tactic as part of their video content strategies. Tom had a chance to sit down with Jesse Lakes who’s the CEO of Geniuslink to discuss all things affiliate. Here’s a breakdown of the discussion.
- [0:30] – What’s been keeping Tom and Carlos busy over the last week.
- [3:20] – Sponsor message
- [4:20] – The story of how Tom met Jesse Lakes during VidSummit.
- [5:36] – Tom talks with Jesse Lakes from Gen.ius
- [6:29] – What is affiliate marketing?
- [9:26] – the 3 major benefits of affiliate marketing
- [11:26] – Who is Jesse Lakes and how Geniuslink came to be.
- [16:57] – What is Geniuslink and why is it different from other affiliate marketing?
- [18:35] – What’s the future for Kit.com?
- [22:28] – Backlash on Amazon’s affiliate program
- [25:10] – The potential of YouTube with affiliate links and how creators use Geniuslink
- [27:41] – The legalities around affiliate marketing
- [29:20] – Best practices and tips on disclosing affiliate marketing links
- [33:25] – Tips on getting more viewers to generate more revenue with affiliate links.
- [36:47] – What’s next for Geniuslink and Kit.com
- [39:00] – Post interview thoughts and perspective
- [42:25] – TubeBuddy special offer
Show notes and links:
- FTC disclosures – Amazon Compliance – An FTC Reminder for Affiliates
- General best practices for using Amazon affiliate links on social media (including YouTube) – How to Share Amazon Affiliate Links on Social Media
- Be careful with your calls to action, can’t incentivize. Details in #6. (#1 is also important in regards to using third party links with Amazon) – Amazon Associates – The Ultimate Guide To Getting Your Account Banned
- Choice Pages (in general) – https://www.geni.us/choice-pages
- Case study about Armando using Choice Pages – How One Client Doubled His Commissions by Giving Consumers a Choice
- Verge article about how often links aren’t being disclosed –https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/27/17167006/princeton-university-research-affiliate-links-sponsored-posts-youtube-pinterest
The Video Insiders Podcast is available on all major podcast players. Visit VideoInsiders.fm here and subscribe.
Thanks to our friends at TubeBuddy for supporting the show. You can use the same pro tools that YouTube professionals like we do to manage multiple channels. Click here for a special offer for Video Insider listeners.
If you’re a creator or media company looking for help building YouTube channels, managing content ID or need YouTube coaching you can reach Tom at http://channelfuel.com or Carlos at http://pachworkrights.com