April Dunford is a positioning consultant, entrepreneur, board member, angel investor, and advisor. Her expertise is built on 25 years as an executive in a series of 7 successful technology startups and 3 global tech giants. She’s launched 16 products as an executive and consulted on dozens more.
She is also an international keynote speaker on the topics of Positioning, Market Strategy and New Product Introduction. Her goal is to help marketers, entrepreneurs and sales teams do a better job of positioning innovative new products so that customers find them obviously awesome. or people to learn is from examples, stories, and humor so my talks are a mix of those three.
As a consultant, she works with mainly B2B tech companies both large and small on making their products easier to understand and love.
Earlier this year April released her first book OBVIOUSLY AWESOME: How to nail product positioning so customers get it, love it, buy it.
She joins Tara and Carlos in this week’s episode.
Here are some of the topics discussed during the show:
- What is Positioning? [03:11]
- Positioning methodology [11:47]
- Competition & the ‘jobs to be done’ framework [15:56]
- Can you have multiple Positions? [26:07]
- Who should be driving Positioning in an organization?[32:50]
- Examples of bad Positioning [39:38]
- Being proactive about Positioning [47:41]
- Research & Development in business [49:46]
- What came first, the Positioning or the product? [55:01]
- Positioning case study: WeWork [1:03:51]
You can find April’s book, Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It on Amazon
You can also check out Tara’s YouTube channel; it has over 200 videos on digital strategy and online audience building.
Truly Inc. is a digital strategy and insights agency based in Toronto, Canada. Visit our website trulyinc.com.