It’s VidCon week, but Carlos and Tom are missing out this year.
In this VIP, we discuss the age-old question. Is YouTube Just a Platform, or is it a publisher?
We also talk about the latest controversy (at time of recording) to hit YouTube, which was the Carlos Maza and Steven Crowder issue and how YouTube mismanaged the problem.
Podcast show notes:
- YouTube Official Blog – Our ongoing work to tackle hate
- The Atlantic – The ‘Platform’ Excuse Is Dying
- Tubefilter – YouTube To Remove Thousands of Extremist Videos, But Rules Steven Crowder’s Harassment of Carlos Maza Can Stay.
- Tubefilter – Susan Wojcicki Apologizes For Hurting LGBTQ Community, But Defends Decision To Let Steven Crowder Videos Stand
- YouTube Official Blog – Taking a harder look at harassment
Do you think YouTube is a platform or a publisher? Let us know on Twitter at @VideoInsiders.
The Video Insiders Podcast is available on all major podcast players. Visit VideoInsiders.fm here and subscribe.
Thanks to our friends at TubeBuddy for supporting the show. You can use the same pro tools that YouTube professionals like we do to manage multiple channels. Click here for a special offer for Video Insider listeners.